Monday, 3 February 2025

Translanguaging Pedagogy: The Way Ahead for English Instruction in MENA

Enough is enough. Across the MENA region, a large share of students still struggle to reach proficiency in foreign languages, above all in writing, speaking and listening. The difficulty extends to tasks such as translation and post-editing, and it has become more visible with the recent surge in large language models.

Translanguaging pedagogy: translation and foreign language education combined

The video below explains the essential role of translanguaging in both monolingual and multilingual education, and shows its relevance, inclusivity and capacity to empower and motivate learners. It is time to move beyond post-colonial prescriptions about effective foreign language learning, whatever accent is favoured. This applies not only to the GCC and North Africa, but potentially to every region that has lived under French or English colonial rule.

Watch: translanguaging in monolingual and multilingual education

No comments:

Beyond the Silo: Why the Future of Translation Is a Pedagogical Challenge

For a long time I felt I was balancing two professional identities. I was a scholar of translation studies, immersed in the nuances of cross...