Sunday, 18 November 2012

From Classroom to Online: Redesigning a Terminology Course Outline

Before starting my PhD in 2011, I completed a teacher training course in higher education. For one assignment I took a real course outline, a first-year course in terminology and documentation taught by a professor in the translation and linguistics department of a university here in Montréal, and asked how it could be converted for online delivery.

Here is the abstract of that mini-paper, which I would like to develop into a publishable article.

In this assignment, I present a course outline designed by a professor in the translation and linguistics department at the Université xxxxxxx for first-year undergraduates. The course covers terminology and research documentation. The professor agreed to let me use his outline as data for the assignment.

I discuss the structural aspects of the document, analyse its components, and conclude by proposing how the same course could be delivered online, with the necessary justifications and suggestions. The move to an online platform is treated only briefly, since the main purpose of the assignment is to highlight what makes an efficient course outline and the role of aligning objectives, learning outcomes and assessment tasks. I analyse those elements and offer my own appraisal of the document, drawing on new insights from learning theories, instructional design and andragogy (how adults learn) as applied to translator and interpreter training.

No comments:

Beyond the Silo: Why the Future of Translation Is a Pedagogical Challenge

For a long time I felt I was balancing two professional identities. I was a scholar of translation studies, immersed in the nuances of cross...