Wednesday, 7 November 2012

When Interpreting Serves Ideology: The Morsi Speech in Tehran

The article linked below (in Arabic) shows how a source text can be translated, or interpreted at a conference, with little regard for its actual wording or intentions.

The Iranian interpreter made major changes to President Morsi's speech in order to serve national interests and protect Iran's allies, Syria and the resistance in Bahrain, by every available means. In this context, the notion of equivalence simply collapses.

This is an important topic in translation studies. See the literature on censorship, translation and ideology, and note that it is a thoroughly practical aspect of the discipline, not a theoretical curiosity.

Read the article (Youm7, in Arabic)

No comments:

Beyond the Silo: Why the Future of Translation Is a Pedagogical Challenge

For a long time I felt I was balancing two professional identities. I was a scholar of translation studies, immersed in the nuances of cross...